Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My new home

 Here's a view of our living room at night (thus the closed curtains). I temporarily moved the desk into the living room (instead of next to the front door, where it was) due to the fact that a wireless router didn't come with our internet installation. So, until we get one, the computer has to be plugged in.
 Front door (again, at night). The windows are actually varying colors of yellow which is really cool (and lets in a lot of light) during the day! Those stairs lead up to the 2 bedrooms and the full bath.
 My dinner last night. Several months ago I just threw some stuff together and came out with quite a delicious and easy meal. Sweet potato, onion, salt, pepper, butter, all spice and some red pepper flakes. Quite delicious!
 There is a little place, very near where I live, called Artistic Endeavors. It's a sort of day camp for persons who are developmentally disabled. They do art with them all day! Carla and I stopped in last week and it's really a neat thing they have going there! They have their things for sale to help support themselves! This is a clay piece I bought that was made by a lady named Lynn.
 This is a photo I bought that happened to be made by the same woman, Lynn. (I got the frame) She has a real talent and when I realized the 2 items I picked out were made by the same person, I asked if she was there. And she was! So I went over to talk to her a bit. She is an older deaf woman. Super sweet but didn't really know what I wanted. :) Several of the other ladies around her taught me how to say "pretty" in sign language. SO, I held up these 2 pieces that she made and did the sign for "pretty". I'm not sure if she understood what I meant but it was nice to meet her and get to say "Thanks for the beautiful art!" I think I would like to go visit over there, occasionally. Maybe even see if they need any volunteer help. It was just such a neat and peaceful place! (minus the smell of clorox bleach! whew! Someone was trying to keep the place "clean" but wasn't aware of the negative affects of clorox. I know I know. This coming from a hairdresser......anyway...........) :)
 Here's a photo I just took. I'm near the desk, in the living room, looking out into the kitchen and dining area. The half bath is just to the right of the table and chairs.
 This is our patio table and chairs. Just last evening I was doing some cleaning and wiped the table and chairs down with my Norwex Enviro cloth. And if you can see now, there is ash on the table. It's quite amazing how it just travels through the air without me even realizing it! Actually, I guess the air quality is so bad right now, because of the fires all to the east of us, that we aren't supposed to be outside for more than an hour today. I already went over that as I was cutting my friends' hair, on their veranda :) this morning. Hmm. The air is very hazy though. You can hardly even see the mountains because they're covered with a film of smoke.
 This is some of the view from our patio. Dry.
 Not sure if you can tell but this is all the area (behind our patio) that was burned by a fire just a few weeks before I got here. It's all orange and dry and dead looking.
 Patio

 This is the view in our apartment from when you come in the front door.
 Upstairs (railing to the left) bathroom. Bedrooms are on the right.
 This is me and my one roommates bedroom. It hasn't been so hard to adjust back to sleeping in a twin bed- seeing how I slept in a twin for most of my life, up until about a year or two ago! BUT, I am praying for this bed to be made stronger and more supportive! God can do it! Because I don't have the funds for a new mattress but I have been waking up with a sore back. So, may the Lord make it firmer and supportive! :)
 The other bedroom for my other two roomates!
 A day time view of the living room.
 A great deal I found yesterday! This photo was 99cents at Goodwill yesterday! A 16x20! It adds some homeyness and color to the place!
Bad photo but this is the bookshelf in the living room. More attempts made to make it more lively in here. It was just the greenery so I found some cheap fake flowers and made it pop a bit more! Much better. :)

3 comments:

  1. yah! i love your place; it's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice place! Thanks for sharing the pics.

    Regarding the bed: My sister used to always put a sheet of plywood under her mattress before she could afford a new one. That usually helped give a little more support. Or, maybe you could try a Memory Foam pad. I know both of those would cost a bit of money to get, but either would be cheaper than a new mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks, gals! It is pretty cool! And yeah, Monica, that's exactly what I was thinking but didn't know exactly how to go about it. So I just need to measure the bed and go into Lowe's (like a dumb lady) and tell them I need plywood about "yay" big? :) I do have the memory foam that I brought with me but that hasn't seemed to make much difference. Maybe because it's a cheapy. Do you think the plywood would work even though it's a bunk bed- bed that has just round metal rods under the mattress? It's not springs or anything.

    ReplyDelete